Thursday, October 2, 2014

5 Things You Should Know While Shopping


Take it from me: as an impulsive avid shopper, I know what it's like to be a customer in the retail world. I know what it's like to struggle to find a size, not know what sales apply to what items, and get nervous to ask questions. We've all been there (or still are, that's okay). But, as someone who has spent the past couple of years working on the other end as a sales associate, there are plenty of things most customers don't understand, which can drastically change the experiences for both the associate and the customer. I work hard to create a positive, organized, and fun shopping experience for every person who walks in the door, but realistically, not every person will experience the attitude I try to create. I've compiled a list of five key things every shopper should be aware of next time they're out shopping - it might make your experience a little bit better.

Try to be as patient as you can be  ||  Anyone who has ever worked in retail knows that no-shows are a real thing. There are plenty of people where I work who simply don't show up for their shifts, without warning or getting anyone to cover them. It really throws off the entire day to be short even one person. If you're ever waiting for a fitting room or a cashier for what feels like forever, try to remember that not everything goes as planned. Simply ask kindly if someone could assist you!

I am a sales associate - company policies, prices, product, and store design are not in my control  ||  This one is simple: I have no control over anything. I am a sales associate, aka I'm in the lowest position of the company. I can't override prices because it's not cheap enough, I can't decide what items are designed and sold in store, and I can't change where tables are set, adjust the lighting, or take down marketing/posters that don't please you. I'm there to assist you if you need a size in a item, need helping finding an item, need a fitting room, to answer questions, and to help you purchase your items.



Being a kind shopper while heighten your experience  ||  I hate to admit it, but it's hard to work with a rude shopper. I'm more likely to spend more time assisting someone who's kind and treats me like another person, versus someone who walks in and is immediately rude. Instead of becoming frustrated with the sales associate trying to help you, work to effectively communicate what your needs are. We can't help you if you don't try to work with us.

Sales associates are not out to get you  ||  We are human, meaning we make mistakes. If we accidentally rung up the wrong item, scanned one item twice, or the price didn't show up correctly on the register, it was an honest mistake. We are not out to ruin your day, take your money, or cause a scene. Mistakes happen! Just let us kindly know what you think happened and we would be more than happy to fix the issue.

Let us help you  ||  There is no shame in feeling a little lost while shopping. If you can't find your size, the item you're looking for, or something to pair with what you have, let us know! We are more than happy to assist you - it's our job. Admitting you need help builds a relationship between yourself and the associate, maximizing your experience!


Like I said, us sales associates are here to help you and create a positive shopping experience for you. For that to happen, everyone needs to work together, communicate, and do their best to understand the other!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.