Friday, January 9, 2015

Creating a Better College Experience as a High School Senior

High school (omg - also, I'm wearing shorts)
College. I won't lie, I felt very bittersweet about moving away for my first year of school. I wasn't looking forward to my school (I've probably mentioned that a million times here) but I couldn't wait to start my college experience. Though nerve wracking, it was exciting, new, and a refreshing change. My first year wasn't terrible, but there were some ways I prepared for my year that really made transitioning into college and moving away a little easier and enjoyable (see making college easier during your first year here).
Freshman year of college
Get a job that you can work at while you're home for break  ||  Working retail can be a real pain, but it was nice to come home and work for Black Friday and the holiday season. It gave me enough money to use during the school year to buy myself dinner or coffee off campus with my friends!

Connect with students from your high school or area before going  ||  Transitioning to a university is extremely emotional and can be scary! Connect with someone in your area who's going to the same university as you (if you can) so you have someone to eat with in the dining hall and make you feel more comfortable those first couple of days. It really helped me - my roommate and I were high school friends and were able to help each other meet new people!

Start collecting dorm items early  ||  I had a few things I bought early so I wouldn't have to buy them later and worry about what I had! But you can also wait until mid-September, when dorm decor and furniture has been marked down to clearance!

Join interest clubs or community organizations to get an idea of what you'd like to major in  ||  This obviously is not a must, but it definitely helps. I went into college knowing what I want to do (work in healthcare and healthcare education), which made taking classes and creating a plan so much easier.

Have a few fun facts about yourself and conversation starters prepared  ||  It sounds silly, but trust me, this helps! I was involved in a handful of groups where fun facts were ice breakers and I was forced to chat with people I didn't know! Having a few facts in your back pocket (my older brother is 13 years older than me, and I have my library card number memorized!) and some conversation starters (my go to: what does your dream kitchen look like?) will seriously come in handy when you're meeting so many new people at once.



I hope this helps seniors out there prepare for their new journeys! Congrats on acceptance letters, and remember that rejection isn't the end of the world (trust me, I know). 
Share with me, where are you going?!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.