Tuesday, January 13, 2015

How #LillyForTarget Opponents are Creating a Classist Culture

via LillyForTarget
We've all heard the news: Lilly Pulitzer is collaborating with Target (hence, #LillyForTarget). Who couldn't be excited about this? Our favorite feel-good brand and our favorite spend-more-than-intended store coming together? It sounds perfect! Well, unless you're a part of the group who believe this is a terrible move on Lilly's part and it will "taint Lilly" forever.

Here's the thing: this move will not taint Lilly and the brand's reputation. Despite the less expensive alternatives available at Target, people will still be purchasing the original line. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Lilly lover and wish I had even more, but my very small budget doesn't allow me to often splurge on the brand. I have a hard time justifying a dress that's over $250 and tank tops that start at $34 (I know I can get just as great basic tanks somewhere else for half the price). This collaboration will allow young girls, women, and those with less money be able to afford some limited edition Lilly items. Lilly Pulitzer was created through humility, hard work, and the notion of having fun (see screenshot below)! Not the idea that only those with enough money are "allowed" to wear the bright prints, as many young women are exclaiming. 



Lilly for Target will obviously carry less expensive items, which are carefully crafted specifically for the stores. I, as a Lilly shopper, wearer, and supporter, feel that the items will still carry that Lilly charm and won't be of low quality. I'm excited for the April launch and know I'll be picking up more than I need (like I said, Target does that to you). My only problem with Lilly for Target is the classist culture it has created around Lilly.



As I stated above, Lilly Pulitzer is built on having fun and life being a party where everyone is invited - see above! Yet, I keep reading all these judgmental comments that young women are making on the collaboration. People are saying that Lilly is "not for people living on that kind of budget", "sucks if you can't afford it but that's life" (a direct quote.... more here), and this collaboration is ruining the reputation of the brand. Excuse me? Is Lilly not for me, a 19 year old who works and pays for all of her own clothing? I could maybe buy two full priced dresses with one paycheck.... Does that mean I shouldn't be wearing it? Comments like that are creating a classist culture of "I can and you can't". Classism, like many other forms of prejudice, is a serious problem in the United States. Saying that people with less money shouldn't be wearing Lilly, a fun, bright, loving brand, is inappropriate and unnecessary, and saying that you won't want to wear any Lilly anymore because it's now available "for cheap" is creating a hierarchy of Lilly lovers. If you're wearing Lilly for status, then you're not wearing Lilly for the right reasons.


True Lilly lovers should be excited for this collaboration. It is allowing more people to join the Lilly world and brighten up their wardrobes and homes. Clothing and style is such a fun way to connect with others - I mean, look at all the style bloggers out there that you love. Don't you feel connected to them in a way? This line will build relationships and let more people feel that excitement that comes from drinking from a patterned cup or looking over at that Lilly frame with a fun memory inside. If that's not something to be excited about, then I'm not sure what is.

Cheers,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.