Friday, November 14, 2014

The Best Hot Drinks for the Non-Coffee Drinkers


It's true. I don't drink coffee. I'm not a big fan of the taste (that aftertaste.... yuck) and it always seems to upset my stomach, so I stay away. I may spend most of my time in Seattle, the coffee capital, but I can't bring myself to like coffee. But that's okay! By not drinking coffee, I've found other really delicious alternatives that I'm more than happy drinking! There's nothing like a chai tea latte on a cold fall day! Below are my favorite non-coffee drinks - go ahead, order one next time!

Chai tea lattes  ||  Chai tea lattes are my go-to. If I'm not really sure what I want or what a particular coffee shop or stand has to offer, I know I'll be happy with a chai tea latte. Though delicious on their own, I always add a flavor, to sweeten it up and change it up! Adding the full flavor can be a little overwhelming and overly-sweet, so I normally ask for 3ish pumps, versus 5 or 6.

Best Chai Tea Latte additions
- Hazelnut chai tea latte
- Vanilla chai tea latte
- Vanilla chai tea latte + soymilk
- Pumpkin chai tea latte
- Almond chai tea latte
- Chocolate chai tea latte
- Peppermint chai tea latte
- Chai tea latte + almond milk

Hot chocolate  ||  Hot chocolate will always be a favorite drink of mine. Though it can easily be made at home (my favorite non-instant mix recipe coming soon!), many shops and stands have more options than typically found at home. A white hot chocolate (white chocolate) is what I've been getting a lot recently. It's a nice change from the typical hot chocolate, but just as delicious. When I was in Scotland, I discovered adding honey to my hot chocolate and it might have been the greatest discovery I've ever made. Adding raspberry or blueberry in is nice, too!



Hot apple cider  ||  Ok, really. Who doesn't love hot cider? Especially with a little bit of caramel, hot cider is one of the best fall and winter drinks around. It's perfect when I'm feeling something sweeter, without spending $6 on one drink. A classic choice.

Hot tea  ||  My family is a tea drinking family. We always have hot water on the stove ready because someone is always drinking some! Tea is a great drink, hot or iced, because it's so easy to fit your needs. Adding or avoiding sugar, using cream, blending teas together. It all works (as long as your know your teas). These are my favorite teas:

Hot Tea
- Green tea + honey
- Lemongrass tea + honey (if you're ever in the UK, pick up some lemongrass tea from TeaPigs - best lemongrass tea I've ever had!)
- Orange spice black tea + half and half + sugar or honey
- Chai spice black tea + half and half + sugar or honey
- Lemon ginger tea + honey (perfect for a sore throat or sick days!)
- Peppermint tea + sugar (Trader Joe's has a great peppermint green tea during the holidays!)



Steamed milk  ||  Before I got into chai tea lattes, I drank a lot of steamed milk. It was sometimes embarrassing to order, but I realized that it was too delicious to even care! It's literally a cup full of hot milk with other flavors added. I have a few favorite combos:

Steamed Milk
- Steamed milk + hazelnut
- Steamed milk + almond (the best)
- Steamed milk + cinnamon + vanilla extract + pinch of sugar (best for sick days or when you can't fall asleep!)

Those are my favorite hot drinks! 
Are you a big coffee drinker? What's your go-to hot drink?
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.