Monday, June 23, 2014

The 5 Best Uses for Coconut Oil





If you haven't jumped in on the coconut oil bandwagon, then what are you doing? Coconut oil is one of the most useful items I own. Aside from the endless culinary opportunities that the oil has to offer, it does wonders for skin and hair. With it's anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties, it's the perfect oil to use on your skin to moisturize, remove makeup, and even use in the shower! But remember: with coconut oil, a little goes a long way.


Makeup Remover  ||  Coconut oil, like many oils, breaks down both face and eye makeup, making it the perfect makeup remover. I put a little bit on my fingers and rub it all over my face, focusing on my eyes. Using a damp washcloth, I wipe my face clean! It's so easy, fast, and won't clog any pores. 

Body Scrubs  ||  I absolutely love homemade body scrubs (I have a post coming soon featuring my favorite scrub + mask recipes!). Using coconut oil as a base creates such a moisturizing scrub. I like to mix a little bit of coconut oil with brown sugar and rub it all over my body, even my face. It washes off so easily and leaves your skin feeling silky soft!

Oil Pulling  ||  Have you heard of oil pulling? I've been doing it off and on for awhile now. Here's the breakdown: you take a tablespoon of coconut oil and put it in your mouth, swishing it around for 20 minutes, first thing in the morning. Make sure not to swallow any of it and to spit it out in the garbage when the 20 minutes is over! The oil "pulls" out toxins and bad bacteria from your body through your mouth, leaving you feeling fresh! This has many health benefits, including prevention of bad breath, strengthening of teeth, gums, and jaw, healthier skin and hair, better sleeping habits, and making people just feel overall better. Do this before you brush your teeth and while you get ready in the morning!

Moisturizer  ||  Like I mentioned, coconut oil is so moisturizing! I love rubbing it all over my freshly shaven legs and using it on my face before I go to sleep. It locks in moisture and makes my skin feel so soft.

Hair Masks  ||  Hair masks are not only vital to hair health, but so much fun! Put a little bit of coconut oil on the ends of your hair and sleeping with it in overnight. To prevent your hair from being oily and stringy the next day, shampoo with your hair dry. That's right - shampoo your hair before you get it wet! This will make sure that you get all the oil out and leave your hair feeling just as soft and clean as ever!


Do you have any favorite coconut oil uses?
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.