Tuesday, April 22, 2014

6 Things You Can Do on Earth Day!

{my photo}

Happy Earth Day! Earth Day is definitely one of my favorite holidays. When I picture Earth Day, I picture being outdoors, spending time in the garden, and doing what I can to help nourish the planet we live on! Here are six things you can do today (or everyday) to reduce your negative impact on our planet, save money, and save resources!


Plant something  ||  I love gardening. Being out in the garden and tending plants gives me a sense of pride, plus I enjoy it! Since I'm away at school, I can't this year, but I have a tradition of planting a few plants on Earth day: flowers, herbs, shrubs, vegetables, even trees! It's always a fun project to do with someone you love, and you end up with a lovely garden!

Be proactive in using re-usable items  ||  Many places, especially college campuses, are more than happy to serve drinks in re-usable mugs or tumblers! Some coffee shops (including Starbucks) are starting to offer drinks and food items in reusable mugs or plates/bowls instead of paper cups or bags. Re-usable shopping bags are great, too, when running to the store to pick up some snacks. Opt for these choices!

Recycle  ||  I'm a person who feels very guilty when I can't recycle. Recycling is so easy and takes no effort at all! Once you start, it becomes a habit and something you don't even think about. Make this an everyday thing - it can really help in the long run!

Reduce water use  ||  I'll be the first to say that sometimes, my showers are too long. Sometimes I get caught up in the hot water and forget I've spent 5 minutes standing there! Small things, like turning off the faucet or shower head when brushing your teeth or shaving your legs, can save water - without any effort!

Take the bus, walk, or bike  ||  I don't own a bike (I wish!) or have a car at school, so walking and the bus are my two main transportation options. Taking the bus can seem like a hassle, but once you've done it a bit, you realize how easy it is! Taking advantage of mass transportation truly does make a difference - plus there's no paying for gas!

Buy or eat local  ||  I live in a city where buying and eating local is huge. Everyone does it! Even our dining halls buy local foods. Buying local not only support local businesses and farmers, but reduces the time spent transporting goods and food, reduces transportation costs, and reduces the amount of preservatives in our foods! Plus, something about eating local just tastes better.


I hope you all have a very happy Earth Day!
Are you doing anything for Earth Day today?

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.