Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Dead Week Stress

Dead week is finally here. It's my first dead week ever, being I'm a college freshmen, and I'm looking forward for the next two weeks to be over. I'm not a great standardized test taker. I don't panic or freak out, I just don't do well! I'm still in the process of learning how to adequately study my material and understand what I'm being taught. High school does very little to actually prepare you for university life and how to appropriately prepare for things such as midterms and finals. I'm hoping that I'll finish this quarter with at least a 3.3 GPA (fingers crossed!) and be able to feel proud of my work this fall.

In order to do that, I need to really buckle down and learn how to study this week. I don't really know how, but I compiled a list of things I'm going to try out and see if they help!


Like I said, I'm new at this whole "study" thing - I never studied in high school. I'm going to give it a try and see if these tips work!

  • Eat a balanced, healthy breakfast each morning (which I already do)
  • Work out - not a lot, but enough to get me feel energized for the day
  • Find a quiet place with little distractions (like Blogger, oops!) such as the library, study room, etc.
  • Go through concepts, vocabulary, and phrases that I understand and solidify that confidence
  • Work on concepts, vocabulary, and phrases that I don't understand and focus on those things until I feel good about them
  • Take short 10 minute study breaks to go to the bathroom, snack, check Instagram, etc.
  • Have some sort of positive incentive to finishing so many hours of studying, such as a favorite snack, watching Netflix, etc. 
These are just ideas I have for this dead week. If anyone has any others, please let me know! Share with me your dead week and finals week experiences and tips, I'd love to hear.

Cheers to the end of the quarter! Here we go dead week!

7 comments:

  1. The best advice I can give for college is to go to every single class and you will be fine. When you study for exams one of the best things you can do is look at your old tests from the semester. It is also wise to talk to a friend who has already taken the class and ask them what that professors exam was like, i.e. was it mostly multiple choice, essay, how long did it take them to take the exam etc. just so you know what to expect.

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice! I'll talk to my professors and see if I can have a copy of my old exams. I didn't even think of that. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Talk about having dead week... I'm having one now.. But I'm in final year. Thats probably the only difference.
    I'm following you on bloglovin.. Hopin for a follow back!

    Ayesha
    Defining Me
    Blogslovin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips! I love scrolling through Pintrest or new Youtube videos for about 5 minutes.

    xx,
    Adalia
    sequinsandflorals.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these tips.
    Thanks!

    xox Ingrid from Style Prosciutto

    ReplyDelete

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.