Sunday, November 17, 2013

Making Friends in the Dorm!

Let me be the first to tell you that making friends can be really hard. I had this huge fear before I came to college that I wouldn't make any friends. I know that it's very unrealistic of me, but I just couldn't help but think I would be this awkward, lonely, weird girl who was always by herself and couldn't even say hi to anyone. BUT, luckily, that's not how it happened for me. Here are some tips on how to make friends if you live in a dorm or other types of campus housing!


  • Say hi and be friendly! It's nice for everyone who lives in your building and on your floor when you simply smile at them, and say hi! Trust me, smiling isn't that hard! (or weird)!
  • If your building or floor has a Facebook page, or other kind of social media account, join it! On the Facebooks for my floor and building, people will always ask if anyone has something they could borrow or if someone knows anything about something! It's a nice way to communicate with one another and meet the other students you live with.
  • Leave your room door open! My room is at the very end of the hall, so even when we leave our door open, no one really stops by. But when other girls on my floor do it, I find myself stopping and saying hi, or complimenting their rooms! This way you get to meet a lot of people just by walking around!
  • Hang out in common areas. Each floor in my building has a lounge, so sometimes a handful of girls will be in there hanging out. It's a nice place to go to hang out with some people you might not normally hang with!
  • Sit with people in your classes! If you see someone in your lecture hall you know lives in your building, sit by them one day or say hi to them in the hallway! Say something like "hey, you live in ______ right?" or "aren't you in ______?" (insert building/class here). That's how I've gotten so close to some girls on my floor!
  • Elevators can be EXTREMELY uncomfortable, but don't be afraid to say hi to the other people/person in it! Ask them how their day is, what they're up to, etc. If anything, you'll leave a nice impression by saying hello!
  • If you eat somewhere like a dining hall, sit down with some new people! You'll be surprised how welcoming college kids can be!
  • Hang out with your friends roommates/friends! Connections like that are a great way to get to know someone new.
I hope these tips help anyone who is worried about not making friends or is struggling with this currently! These are what I've gathered from my own experience being at school. Let me know if you have any other tips on making friends or how your social life in school is! 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.