Tuesday, March 18, 2014

College Rejection - What Now?

High school seniors and young adults everywhere have been or will be receiving their college admission letters in the mail. It can be extremely nerve wracking, scary, and exciting, all wrapped into one emotion. For some people, college is a big deal. Getting a letter can be the best, or worst, day of one's high school career. Even if you're rejected from your dream school, it's okay. You will be okay, and life will go on. I promise. How do I know that? I was there.

{my photograph}
College rejection is hard. It can hurt your self esteem, make you feel vulnerable, and it simply just hurts! But being rejected from a college you really had your eye on isn't the end of the world. Take it from someone who was heartbroken when they didn't get into their dream school: you will be okay. This is my advice to incoming college freshmen who's happy high school ending didn't involve looking forward to college.

Give yourself a day (or two) to be sad. Being sad isn't a bad thing! Allow yourself to cry, be by yourself, or eat that entire box of cookies. I took a day off from school to lay in bed and accept that I wasn't going to my first choice school. It's completely normal and people will understand.

Don't bash any school you might be attending. I'm guilty of this: I've said bad things about my current university. There are no "bad schools" out there, simply schools that aren't the right match for you. My university is a great one, but it's not my university. Don't let negative energy take over how you speak about your school.

Consider transferring and look into your options. Transferring is always a possibility. Look into what your first choice school's policy is regarding transfer students: do they take priority towards two-year community college students? Is there a high rate of transfer students? These are important questions that can make the process easier.

Go to school with an open mind and heart. I thought I was going to absolutely hate my university and that I wasn't going to make any friends. I was wrong! I'm not in love, but I don't hate it. I've also made a handful of great friends that I wouldn't have met anywhere else. My experience so far has been one I never thought I would have: it's been a great one.

A school does not define you or your self worth. This was a big concept that took me awhile to fully understand. What school you attend does not determine what kind of person you are; not going to school doesn't, either. Self worth is in no way involved with what kind of education you're getting. As long as you're being a person that others can look up to and admire, you're doing something that you love, and (or) putting your best effort forward, you are incredible, with or without this dream school.

I hope this post helped someone out there understand that not being accepted into a certain school isn't the worst thing that could happen. I fully understand, and can fully promise that even though I still get down about my university, whatever school you decide on will have great, positive experiences. My email is always open if you're someone struggling with accepting that you won't be attending your dream school in the fall. I am here for ou!

P.S. Congrats to all college bound students!

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow Connie this is such a heartfelt posts. I can't entirely relate because I'm only a sophomore in high school, but I definitely have already felt some stress towards college situations. I already think about where I want to go and what I need to get there. Sometimes this can make me stressed because if I don't do very well on just say a test I get down on myself because I feel like I won't get into the school of my dreams. This post definitely was very uplifting and I think your situation is not that unique because lots of people don't get into the school of their dreams, and you definitely handled the situation perfectly. An allover amazing post Connie!

    XO, Kate // seersuckerandstripes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kate! This was such a sweet response and I really appreciate it. I can't wait to see in the next couple of years where you decide to go! It's an exciting experience but it can also be (very) scary, haha.

      Delete

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.