Friday, March 7, 2014

Friday Fives

Instagram
1  ||  I finally got around to buy this calendar for Target this week! I was so happy to find it on clearance - it was only $3! I currently have it hung up at my desk. I also bought a cute set of mechanical pencils and more thank you cards - all from the $1 section. Can you believe that?

{link unknown}
2  ||  Cooler painting isn't a popular tradition in the greek system in my state. I'm not a part of the system myself, but my boyfriend is in a fraternity at his university (I wrote all about it!) and I thought it could be really fun to paint him a cooler! A lot of guys in his house think I should do it, even though it's not common. His spring formal isn't until the beginning of May, but I'm not the best artist and I've never painted a cooler, so I've already been practicing and doing my best to get the hang of it. If you have any tips, please let me know!

{design darling}
3  ||  Did you catch this interview with Jennifer Taylor over at Mackenzie Horan's blog, Design Darling? If you're ever lacking motivation and don't think you'll achieve your dream job, especially young, please read it! It's an amazing post about how Jennifer landed a job with Jack Rogers. It was such a fun read!


4  ||  I am rediscovering my love for Rachel Bilson through Hart of Dixie. I decided last weekend to start watching it and I'm already on season two! I've never been to Alabama, but if I were to ever move there, I'd love to live in a town like BlueBell. I also wouldn't mind if I could have Zoe and Lemon's closets...

{everyday roots}
5  ||  For Lent I decided to give up all drinks besides water and hot tea (in the morning!). I have a bad habit of buying an Italian soda once a week and drinking too many Chai tea lattes. I'm hoping this break will make me feel healthier and break my unhealthy habits. Plus, drinking water is so good for you!

Cheers! Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I was just reading your post and I saw you were asking for tips on coolers! I go to school in the south and my boyfriend is in a fraternity as well so it's basically tradition to make one! Make sure you're able to devote the time to it, I really wouldn't recommend doing it during school. I made his over Christmas break and devoted 2 weeks of time to it and it really turned out great! Ahh this post is going to be pretty long but I figured I could help!
    Step 1 is to sand your cooler. The paint won't stick longterm to the plastic coating on the outside of the cooler so you have to sand it all. I would recommend an electric sander! Just go deep enough the scratch off the plastic but not enough to puncture the insulation!
    2. Use a primer over the whole cooler. I used Krylon fusion in white and I only used about a half of a can.
    3. Paint with acrylic! I would recommend looking on pinterest for inspiration! Also I used a tonnn of masking tape to make sure everything was perfect!
    4. After this dries you're going to want to seal it to make sure the paint won't chip! First, cover the whole cooler in outdoor modge lodge. I ended up using the entire large bottle. Then use another sealant such as Minwax semi gloss polycrylic to provide another layer. Then voila!
    My boyfriend has had it for over 6 months and it still looks good as new. It's a lot of work but putting a lot of effort into it and really sealing it is worthwhile. Hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to message me!

    xo,
    Emily | emilyanddot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH! I really appreciate it! I'm going to start it next week when I'm done with school for the quarter. Luckily I have one whole week before my spring break even starts!

      Delete
    2. Ahh can't wait to see pictures of it! Good luck!

      Delete

Recommendations by Engageya

Disqus for Prep Northwest

© 2013 Constance Browne and Prep Northwest.